Algonquian Ceramic Tool Kit
image copyright 2001-Tara Prindle / NativeTech.org
Key to Ceramic Tool Kit
- 1. Carved wood tools used in smoothing and modeling of clay.
- 2. Quill tipped brush used in smoothing vessel surface.
- 3. Cord wrapped paddle used in compressing clay body during
manufacture. This tool also provided the rough surface finish which
characterizes pottery of the Windsor Tradition in southern New England.
- 4. Lithics used for incised decorations.
- 5. Shell edges were often used as tools in decoration.
- 6. Wooden or bone combs were also used to decorate Windsor Tradition
Photograph by Jon Lizee. Please do not reproduce without