||Tiwanaku research page
|Recent Titles on Andean Archaeology
- Advances in Titicaca Basin Archaeology, by C. Stanish (2005), Buy it!
- Ancient Cuzco: Heartland of the Inca, by B.S. Bauer (2004), Buy it!
- Ancient Nasca Settlement and Society, by H. Silverman (2002), Buy it!
- Ancient Titicaca: The Evolution of Complex Society in Southern Peru and Northern Bolivia, by C. Stanish (2003) , Buy it!
- Andean Archaeology I: Variations in Sociopolitical Organization, by W. Isbell and H. Silverman eds. (2002), Buy it!
- Andean Archaeology II: Art, Landscape, and Society, by H. Silverman y H. Isbell, eds. (2002) , Buy it!
- Andean Archaeology, by H. Silverman (2004) , Buy it!
- Andean Diaspora: The Tiwanaku Colonies and the Origins of South American Empire . by P. Goldstein (2005), Buy it!
- Archaeological Research on the Islands of the Sun and Moon, Lake Titicaca, Bolivia: Final Results of the Proyecto Tiksi jarka, C. Stanish y B. Bauer eds. (2004), Buy it!
- Archaeology and Politics of Food and Feasting in Early States and Empires, by T. Bray ed. (2003), Buy it!
- Archaeology in Latin America edited, by Gustavo G Politis y B. Alberti (2000), Buy it! paperback
- Cultivated Landscapes of Native Amazonia and the Andes: Triumph over the Soil, by W.M. Denevan (2001), Buy it! hardback
- Empire and Domestic Economy, by T. D'Altroy and C. Hastorf (2001) , Buy it!
- Identity and Power in the Ancient Andes: Tiwanaku Cities through Time (Critical Perspectives in Identity, Memory & the Built Environment) by J. Janusek (2003), Buy it!
- Masters of the Living Energy: The Mystical World of the Q’ero of Peru, by J. Wilcox (2004)\, Buy it!
- Moche Portraits from Ancient Peru, by C.B. Donnan (2204), Buy it!
- Narrative Threads: Accounting and Recounting in Andean Khipu, by J. Quilter and G. Urton eds. (2002), Buy it!
- Prehispanic Settlement Patterns in the Upper Mantaro and Tarma Drainages, Junin, Peru, by J. Parsons and C. Hastings (2001) , Buy it!
- Projectile Point Technology and Economy: A Case Study from Paijan, by C. Chauchat et al (2004), Buy it!
- Reading Inca History, by C. Julien (2000), Buy it!
- Ritual and Pilgrimage in the Ancient Andes: The Islands of the Sun and the Moon, by B. Bauer and C. Stanish (2001) paperback , Buy it!
- Ritual Sacrifice in Ancient Peru: New Discoveries and Interpretations by E. Benson, A. Cook eds. (2001) , Buy it!
- Signs of the Inka Khipu: Binary Coding in the Andean Knotted-String Records, by G. Urton (2003), OOP!
- The archaeology of Tiwanaku: The myths, history, and science of an ancient Andean civilization, by J. Albarracín-Jordán (1999), Buy it!
- The Forgotton Valleys: Past and Present in the Utilization of Resources in the Ceja De Selva, by Peru, by I. Schjellerup et al. (2003), Buy it!
- The Incas and Their Ancestors: The Archaeology of Peru (Revised Edition) by M. Moseley (2001), Buy it!
- The Incas, by T. D'Altroy (2001) (paperback), Buy it!
- The Machu Picchu Guidebook : A Self-Guided Tour, by R. Wright and A. Valencia (2001) , Buy it!
- The Nasca, by H. Silverman and D.A. Proulx (2001), Buy it!
- Tiwanaku and Its Hinterland, Archaeology and Paleoecology of an Andean Civilization: Urban and Rural Archaeology, by A. Kolata (2002), Buy it!
- Tiwanaku: Ancestors Of The Inca, by M. Young-Sanchez (2004), Buy it!
- Toasts With the Inca: Andean Abstraction and Colonial Images on Kero Vessels, by T. Cummins , Buy it!
|Andean Archaeology Classics
- Indian Skeletal Material from the Central Coast of Peru, by M. T. Newman (1972) , Buy it!
- Life, Land and Water in Ancient Peru, by P. Kosok (1965) , Buy it!
- Pachacamac, by Max Uhle (1991) , Buy it!
- Pre-Columbian Art History : Selected Readings, by A. Cordy-Collins ed. (1982), Buy it!
- Prehistoric Settlement Patterns in the Viru Valley, by Gordon R. Willey (1953), Buy it!
- Prehistory of the Ayacucho Basin, Peru, by R.S. MacNeish (1980), OOP!
- Prehistory of the Ayacucho Basin, Peru, by R.S. MacNeish (1981), OOP!
- The Archaeology and Pottery of Nazca, Peru: Alfred L. Kroeber's 1926 Expedition, by A. L. Kroeber, et al (1999) , Buy it!
|Andean Chronicles and History Classics
- A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies, by B. de las Casas, N. Griffin (Translator) (mid 16th cent; reprint 1992), Buy it!
- History of the Conquest of Peru, by W.H. Prescott (1998) , Buy it!
- History of the Inca Empire: An Account of the Indians' Customs and Their Origin Together With a Treatise on Inca Legends, History and Social Institutions, by B. Cobo, edited by J.H. Rowe, translated by R. Hamilton (1653; reprint 1983), OOP!
- Incas of Peru, by C.R. Markham (1969), Buy it!
- Narrative of the Incas, by Juan De Betanzos, R. Hamilton and D. Buchanan eds. (1551; reprint 1996), OOP!
- Peru: Incidents of Travel and Exploration in the Land of the Incas, by E. G. Squier (1972) , Buy it!
|Andean Archaeology Overviews
- Ancestors of the Incas : The Lost Civilizations of Peru, by F. Kauffmann-Doig et al. (1999), Buy it!
- Ancient South Americans, by K. Bruhns (1994), OOP!
- Andean Archaeology: Papers in Memory of Clifford Evans, by S. Turpin el al. eds. (1986), OOP!
- High Cities of the Andes, by C. Wakefield (1996) , Buy it!
- Peruvian Prehistory, by R. Keatinge ed. (1988), Buy it!
- The Ancient Kingdoms of Peru, by N. Davis (1998-01), Buy it!
- The Cities of the Ancient Andes, by C. Morris and A. Von Hagen (1998-01), OOP!
- The Inca Empire and its Andean Origins, by C. Morris and A. Von Hagen (1993) , OOP!
- The Incas and Their Ancestors: The Archaeology of Peru, by M. Moseley (1992), OOP!
- The Origins and Development of the Andean State, by J. Haas et al. (1987) , OOP!
- The Peoples of the Andes, by J. Richardson III (1994) , Buy it!
|Andean Archaeology Sites and Cultures
- Agriculture and the Onset of Political Inequality Before the Inka, by C. Hastorf (1993), OOP!
- An Ancient World Preserved: Relics and Records of Prehistory in the Andes, by F.A. Engel (1976), OOP!
- Ancient Andean Political Economy, by C. Stanish (1992) , Buy it!
- Ancient Burial Patterns of the Moche Valley, Peru, C. Donnan and C. MacKay (1978), Buy it!
- Ancient Civilzations of Peru, by J.A. Mason (1969), Buy it!
- Andean Ecology and Civilization, by S. Masuda, C. Morris, and I. Shimada, eds. (1985), Buy it!
- Anthropological History of Andean Polities, by J. Murra et al. eds. (1986) , OOP!
- Archaeological Field Research in the Upper Mantaro, Peru, 1982-1983 : Investigations of Inca Expansion and Economic Change, by T. Earle et al. (1987), OOP!
- Archeaologie in Peru, Archeaometrie : Ergebnisse des 1. Fachsymposions der Deutsch-Peruanischen Archèaologischen Gesellschaft 1985 in Munchen (1987), OOP!
- Archeaologische Forschungen im Nazca-Gebiet, Peru: d. Tal d. Rio Santa Cruz in praespan. Zeit aus d. Sicht d. Forschungen Prof. Dr. Ubbelohde-Doerings im Jahre 1932 by Angelika Neudecker (1979), Buy it!
- Architecture and Power in the Ancient Andes: The Archaeology of Public Buildings, by J. Moore (1996), OOP!
- Arid Land Use Strategies and Risk Management in the Andes: A Regional Anthropological Perspective, by D.L. Browman ed. (1987), OOP!
- Astronomy and Empire in the Ancient Andes: The Cultural Origins of Inca Sky Watching, by B. Bauer and D. Dearborn (1995), Buy it!
- Axe-Monies and Their Relatives, by D. Hosler et al (1990) , Buy it!
- Between the Lines: The Mystery of the Giant Ground Drawings of Ancient, by A. F. Aveni (2000), Buy it!
- Cahuachi in the Ancient Nasca World, by H. Silverman (1993), Buy it!
- Callachaca: Style and Status in an Inca Community, by S. Niles (1997), OOP!
- Cerro Nanananique : un etablissement monumental de la periode formative, en limite de desert (Haut Piura, Perou), by J. Guffroy et al., OOP!
- Chavin and the Origins of Andean Civilization, by R. Burger (1992; reprint 1995) , OOP!
- Chavin de Huantar: excavaciones en la Galeria de las Ofrendas, by L.G. Lumbreras (1993), Buy it!
- Conflicts over Coca Fields in 16th Century Peru, by M. Rostworowski (1988), OOP!
- Daily Life in the Inca Empire, by M. Malpass (1996), Buy it!
- Die Ausgrabungen in der formativzeitlichen Siedlung Montegrande, Jequetepeque-Tal, Nord-Peru (Las excavaciones en el asentamiento formativo de Montegrande, Valle de Jequetepeque en el Norte del Peru), by M. Tellenbach (1986), Buy it!
- Die Grabungen von Heinrich Ubbelohde-Doering in Pacatnamu, Nordperu: Untersuchungen zu den Huacas 31 und 14 sowie Bestattungen und Fundobjekte, by G. Hecker (1995), OOP!
- Domestic Architecture in the Andes: Ethnicity, and Complementarity in the South- Central Andes, by M. Aldenderfer ed. (1993), OOP!
- Dumbarton Oaks Conference on Chavin , by E. Benson ed. (1971) , OOP!
- Early Ceremonial Architecture in the Andes, by C. Donnan ed. (1985), Buy it!
- Early Settlement and Subsistence in the Casma Valley, Peru, by S. and T. Pozorski (1987), OOP!
- Economic prehistory of the Central Andes, BAR (1988), OOP!
- Guitarrero Cave : Early Man in the Andes, by T. Lynch (1980), OOP!
- Hatunqolla: A View of Inca Rule from the Lake Titicaca Region, by C. Julien (1983) , OOP!
- History of the Inca Realms, by M. Rostworowski (1998-01) , Buy it!
- Huanuco Pampa: An Inca Administrative City, by C. Morris and D. Thompson (1985) , Buy it!
- Huari Administrative Structure: Prehistoric Monumental Architecture and State Government, by W. Isbell and G. McEwan eds. (1991), Buy it!
- Inca Civilization in Cuzco, by T. Zuidema (1990) , Buy it!
- Inca Ethnohistory, by T. Altroy (1987), Buy it!
- Inca Storage Systems, by T. Levine ed. (1992) , Buy it!
- Inka Architecture and Construction at Ollantaytambo, by J.P Protzen (1993), Buy it!
- Inka Settlement Planning, by J. Hyslop (1990), Buy it!
- Inkawasi: The New Cuzco, Canete, Lunahuana, by J. Hyslop (1986) , Buy it!
- Investigaciones de arqueologos alemanes en Bolivia (1994), Buy it!
- La Galgada, Peru : A Preceramic Culture in Transition, by T. Grieder (1989), OOP!
- Life and Death at Paloma : Society and Mortuary Practices in a Preceramic Peruvian Village, by J. Quilter and R. Benfer (1989), Buy it!
- Lukurmata. Household Archaeology in Prehispanic Bolivia, by M. Bermann (1994), OOP!
- Machu Picchu (Wonders of Man), by J. Hemming (1981), Buy it!
- Machu Picchu: Portrait of Hiram Bingham, by A.M. Bingham, OOP!
- Machu Picchu: The Story of the Amazing Inkas and Their City in the Clouds, by E. Mann and A. Crehore (2000), OOP!
- Mathematics of the Incas: Code of the Quipu, by M. Asher and R. Asher (1997), OOP!
- Montane Foragers : Asana and the South-Central Andean Archaic, by M. Aldenderfer (1998), OOP!
- Mummies and Mortuary Monuments: A Postprocessual Prehistory of the Andes, by W. Isbell (1997), OOP!
- Pacatnamu Papers 1, by G. Cock and C. Donnan eds. (1996), OOP!
- Pacatnamu Papers 2: The Moche Occupation, by C. Donnan ed. (1997), Buy it!
- Pacatnamu: vorspanische Stadt in Nordperu, by G. Hecker, Buy it!
- Pampa Grande and the Mochica Culture, by I. Shimada (1994), OOP!
- Paracas Ritual Attire: Symbols of Authority in Ancient Peru, by A. Paul (1990), OOP!
- Paracas: Art and Architecture, by A. Paul ed. (1991), Buy it!
- Portrait of an Explorer: Hiram Bingham, Discoverer of Machu Picchu, by A. M. Bingham, Buy it!
- Prehispanic Settlement Patterns in the Lower Santa Valley, Peru, by D. Wilson (1988), Buy it!
- Prehistoric Andean Ecology, Vol 1, by F. Engel (1981), Buy it!
- Prehistoric Andean Ecology: Lomas, Vol. 2, by F. Engel (Editor) (1988), Buy it!
- Prehistoric Andean Ecology: Stone Typology, Vol 3, by F. Engel (Editor) , Buy it from authors!
- Prehistoric Hunters of the High Andes, by J. Rick, OOP!
- Provincial Inka: Archaeological and Ethnohistorical Assessment, by M. Malpass (1993), OOP!
- Provincial Power in the Inka Empire, by T. D'Altroy (1992), Buy it!
- Pyramids of Tucume: The Quest for Peru's Forgotten City, by T. Heyerdahl et al. (1994), Buy it!
- Quebrada de la Vaca: eine vorspanische Siedlung im mittleren Suden Perus, by H. Trimborn, OOP!
- Royal Tombs of Sipan, by W. Alva and C. Donnan (1993), Buy it!
- The Ancient Incas : Chronicles from National Geographic, by A. M. Schlesinger ed., et al (1999), Buy it!
- The Archaeology of Chincha Fishermen : Specialization and Status in Inka Peru, by D. Sandweiss (1992), OOP!
- The Art and Archaeology of Pashash, by T. Grieder (1978), OOP!
- The Burial Theme in Moche Iconography, by C. Donnan and D. McClelland (1979), Buy it!
- The Chacaras of War. An Inka State Estate in the Cochabamba Valley Bolivia, by J. Gyarmati and A. Varga (1999) , Buy it!
- The Deep South, by F. Engel , Buy it!
- The Development of the Inka State, by B. Bauer (1992), Buy it!
- The Early Ceramics of the Inca Heartland, by B. Bauer (1999), Buy it!
- The Formative Period in the Cajamarca Basin, Peru : Excavations at Huacaloma and Layzon, by K. Terada et al. (1982), Buy it!
- The Inca Empire: The Formation and Desintegration of a Pre-capitalist State, by T. Patterson (1991), Buy it!
- The Inca World : The Development of Pre-Columbian Peru, A.D. 1000-1534, by Laura Laurencich Minelli (Editor) and Mireille Vautier(Photographer) (2000), OOP!
- The Inka Road System, by J. Hyslop (1984) , OOP!
- The Lines of Nazca, by A. Aveni (Editor) (1991) , Buy it!
- The Maiden of the Inka, by J. Buell (1997), Buy it!
- The Middle Horizon in the Valley of Cuzco, Peru: the impact of the Wari occupation of the Lucre Basin, by G. McEwanOOP!, Buy it!
- The Moche, by G. Bawden (1997), Buy it!
- The Mystery of the Nasca Lines, by T. Morrison, Buy it!
- The Northern Dynasties: Kingship and Statecraft in Chimor, by M. Moseley and A. Cordy Collins eds. (1991) , OOP!
- The Preceramic Excavations at the Huaca Prieta, Chicama Valley, Peru, by J. Bird and J. Hyslop (1985) , Buy it!
- The Sacred Landscape of the Inca: The Cusco Ceque System, by B. Bauer, Buy it!
- The Shape of Inca History: Narrative and Architecture in an Andean Empire, by S. Niles (1999), Buy it!
- Tiwanaku and its Hinterland: Archaeology and Paleoecology, by A. Kolata et al. (1996), Buy it!
- Tiwanaku: Portrait of an Andean Civilization, by Alan Kolata (1993), Buy it!
- Tombs for the Living: Andean Mortuary Practices, by T. Dillehay ed. (1995) , Buy it!
- Un siecle d'archeologie francaise au Perou (1821-1914), by Pascal Riviale, OOP!
- Uyuni prehispanique: archeologie de la cordillere Intersalar (Sud-Ouest bolivien) by P. Lecoq, Buy it!
- Wari Imperialism in Middle Horizon Peru, by K. Schreiber (1992) , Buy it!
- Warriors of the Clouds : A Lost Civilization in the Upper Amazon of Peru by Keith Muscutt (1998), Buy it!
|Andean Handicraft Techniques
- Andean Art at Dumbarton Oaks, by E. Boone ed. (1996) , Buy it!
- Arts of the Andes: From Chavin to Inka, by R. Stone-Miller (2002) , Buy it!
- Bolivian Indian Textiles : Traditional Designs and Costumes by Tamara E. Wasserman, Jonathan S. HillOOP!, Buy it!
- Ceramics of Ancient Peru, by Christopher Donnan (1992) (hdc) , Buy it!
- Ceramics of Ancient Peru, by Christopher Donnan (1992) (pbk), Buy it!
- Double-Woven Treasures from Old Peru, by A. Cahlander and S. Baizerman, eds. (1985), Buy it!
- Hidden Threads of Peru, by Ann P. Rowe et al. (2001), Buy it!
- Moche Art and Archaeology in Ancient Peru, by J. Pillsbury ed. (2001), Buy it!
- Moche Pottery from Peru, by G. Bankes (1992), OOP!
- Peruvian Textiles, by Jane Feltham (1999), Buy it!
- Precolumbian Gold: the Jan Mitchell Collection, by J. Jones and H. King, eds. (1986) , Buy it!
- Seven Matched Hollow Gold Jaguars from Peru's Early Horizon, by Heather Lechtman (1975), Buy it!
- Studies in Ancient Peruvian Metalworking, by A. Tushingham et al. (1979), Buy it!
- Sweat of the Sun and Tears of the Moon. Gold and Silverin Pre-columbian Art, by A. Emmerich (1965), Buy it!
- Textile Traditions of Mesoamerica and the Andes: An Anthology, by M. Schevill, E. Dwyer, y J. Berlo eds. (1996), Buy it!
- Textiles of Ancient Peru and Their Techniques, by R. D'Harcourt (1934), Buy it!
- The Ancient Americas: Art from Sacred Landscapes, by R.F. Townsend, ed. (1992) , Buy it!
- The Andean Heritage: Masterpieces of Peruvian Art from the Collections of the Peabody Museum by G. Bawden (1982), Buy it!
- The Junius Bird Andean Textile Conference, 1984, by A. Rowe, ed. (1986), Buy it!
- The Junius Bird Precolumbian Textile Conference, 1973, by A. Rowe et al. eds. (1979), OOP!
- The Spirit of Ancient Peru: Treasures from the Rafael Larco Herrera Museum, by T. Berrin ed. (1997), Buy it!
- To Weave for the Sun: an Introduction to the Fiber Arts of the Ancient Andes, by R. Stone-Miller (1992), OOP!
- Traditional Textiles of the Andes: The Appleby Collection, by L. Meish ed. (1997) , Buy it!
|Andean Colonial History and Ethnography
- Andean Cosmologies Through Time: Persistence and Emergence, by R. Dover (1992), Buy it!
- Andean Worlds: Indigenous History, Culture, and Consciousness Under Spanish Rule, 1532-1825, by K. Andrien (2001), Buy it!
- Awatimarka: The Ethnoarchaeology of an Andean Herding Community, by L. Kuznar, Buy it!
- Between Field and Cooking Pot: The Political Economy of Marketwomen in Peru, by F.E. Babb (1998), Buy it!
- Changing Fortunes: Biodiversity and Peasant Livelihood in the Peruvian Andes, by K. Zimmerer (1997), Buy it!
- Coded Encounters: Writing, by Gender, by and Ethnicity in Colonial Latin America, by F. Devallos-Candau (1994), OOP!
- Creating Context in Andean Cultures, by R. Howard-Malverde ed. (1997), Buy it!
- Demographic Collapse, Indian Peru, 1520-1620, by N.D. Cook (1981), OOP!
- Earth, Water, Fleece, and Fabric: An Ethnography and Archaeology of Andean Camelid Herding, by P. Dransart (2002), Buy it!
- Ecology and Ceramic Production in an Andean Community, by D. Arnold (1993), Buy it!
- Ethnicity, Markest and Migration in the Andes, by B. Larson ed. (1995), Buy it!
- From Viracocha to the Virgin of Copacabana: Representation of the Sacred at Lake Titicaca, by V. Salles-Reese, OOP!
- Guaman Poma: Writing and Resistance in Colonial Peru, by R. Adorno (1988), Buy it!
- Lost Crops of the Incas, (National Research Council, 1989) , Buy it!
- Moon, by Sun and Witches: Gender Ideologies and Class in Inca and Colonial Peru, by I. Silverblatt (1987), OOP!
- Mountain of the Condor: Metaphor and Ritual in an Andean Ayllu, by J. Bastien (1985), Buy it!
- Mountain, Field and Family: The Economy and Human Ecology of an Andean Valley, by S. Brush (1977) , Buy it!
- Narrative of the Incas by Juan De Betanzos, Roland Hamilton, Dana Buchanan, Buy it!
- Pathways of Memory and Power: Ethnography and History Among an Andean People, by T. Abercrombie (1998), Buy it!
- Peasants on the Edge: Crop, Cult and Crisis in the Andes, by W. Mitchell (1991), Buy it!
- Religion in the Andes: Vision and Imagination in Colonial Peru, by S. Maccormack (1991), Buy it!
- Resistance, Rebellion and Consciousness in the Andean Peasant World, 18th to 20th centuries, by S. Stern (1988), Buy it!
- Tambo: Life in an Andean Village, by J. Meyerson (1990), Buy it!
- Tamed Frontiers : Economy, Society, and Civil Rights in Upper Amazonia, by Fernando Santos-Granero, F. Barclay (2000), Buy it!
- The Andean Past: Land, Societies, and Conflicts, by M. Morner (1991) , OOP!
- The Articulated Peasant: Household Economies in the Andes, by E. Mayer (2001) , Buy it!
- The Conquest of the Incas, by J. Hemming (1970), Buy it!
- The Discovery and Conquest of Peru by Pedro De Cieza De Leon, et al, Buy it!
- The Hold Life Has: Coca and Cultural Identity in an Andean Community, by C. Allen (1988) , Buy it!
- To Defend Ourselves: Ecology and Ritual in an Andean Village, by B.J. Isbell (1985) , Buy it!
|Travel in Peru
- Backpacking in Peru & Bolivia, by H. Brandt (1995), Buy it!
- Bolivia Lonely Planet (1996), Buy it!
- Journey to Ollantaytambo: Into the Sacred Valley of the Incas, by E. Hubbarb (1990) , Buy it!
- Peru Handbook, Footprint Guide (1997), Buy it!
- Peru, Insight Guides (1998-01) , Buy it!
- Peru, Lonely Planet, by R. Rachowiecki (4th edition), Buy it!
- Peru, The Rough Guide (1997), Buy it!
- Travelers Companion to Peru, by J. Yoqurst (1998-01), Buy it!
- Ulysses Travel Guide to Peru, by A. Lequatt (1999) , Buy it!
|Photography in Peru
- Backward : An Essay on Indians, Time, and Photography, by W. Baker (1983), Buy it!
- Five Rolls of Plus X: An Urban Photography Vision of Peru, by F. Castro (1983), Buy it!
- Macchu Picchu, by B. Brukoff et al., Buy it!
- Martin Chambi : Photographs, 1920-1950, by M. Chambi et al (1993), Buy it!
- Monuments of the Incas, by J. Hemming and E. Ranney (1993), Buy it!
- Planet Peru: An Aerial Journey Through a Timeless Land, by Marylin Bridges (1991), Buy it!
- Stones in the Road : Photographs of Peru, by N. Alexanian (1992) , Buy it!